Maybe it’s a bit premature to be saying so just yet, but I am definitely thinking that I have made a complete switch from being an advocate for early potty training to being an advocate for lat(er) potty training. I started with Jed 2 days ago, not really expecting it to “take”, just because I was so lackadaisical about it. We’d been talking just a bit about going potty, here and there, just mental preparation for him, and he decided he wanted to go sit on the potty a while. Nothing “happened”, but he giggled the whole time, and told me a few times “This is fun!”
I felt that was a good beginning, and decided to just keep it fun, no pressure. It went against me just a bit, as he is 3, and I’ve always started the others around 18 months. Then stressed and panicked and worried and fussed and cleaned up messes for 18 more months. This time, I *sort of* decided to wait on him, but circumstances made it VERY easy to wait, and VERY difficult to train him as I’d done the others.
So, here we are, day 3 into “sort of” potty training, with this morning’s diaper still dry, and I won’t burden you with what all in the potty, but Jed is running pretty high on all the sugar from his reward candy! The two biggest motivations he's chosen for himself (being old enough to do that, saving me the mental gymnastics of trying to figure out what would appeal to a toddler!) are being able to go on dates with Papa like the others, and the extreme comfiness of the underwear I’ve let him try on a few times.
If it flops, it flops. I’m still not going to stress about it. He WILL get potty trained eventually, and I’m liking this nice easy stress free way about it. It took me 5 children to figure out that this is the way to go, and the ones who get trained after will benefit. :0) After having 3 in diapers for so long (seems like every time I potty trained one, another was born!) I’m going to feel like I don’t have much to do with only 2 in diapers (0;
Wise thoughts. :-) I put myself and poor Haley through a mess with early training. Andrea
ReplyDeleteI know... I think of how hard I pushed the others... :0(
ReplyDeleteI don't think they remember though, and they seem to be fine! It (early training) was mostly a pride issue for me, I've (hopefully) learned that what is good for my children is WAAYYY more important that what someone else thinks of me!